12.13.2005

A somewhat long story that explains why I'm frustrated right now:

At work, closing out the register is not part of our basic training. I had to go in one night specifically to learn how to close it out. I've worked with girls who didn't know how to do it (and it's a somewhat complicated process). Last week, my boss scheduled two girls to close, and neither of them knew how to close out the register. They called me, and I went in and showed them. I figured it was better to err on the side of caution.

A few days later, I went into work and my boss wanted to talk to me. She wanted to know what that was all about. I told her that they didn't know what they were doing, and I didn't feel comfortable letting them do it with only the book. (We have a book that gives vague instructions on how to do it. Several things are missing--how to open the register, for instance. It also doesn't list solutions for any contingencies.) My boss said she was disappointed in the two girls who called me, but I wasn't in trouble.

Today, I went into work, and my boss said that I got "written up", because there was no reason I should have clocked in unauthorized.

I honestly thought I was being helpful by going in and showing them how to do it. I'm really frustrated because this makes no sense. There was money involved; I erred on the side of caution.

I sent my boss an e-mail asking what the other infractions are that one could get written up for. It's ridiculous that I'm in trouble. Also, I don't know why learning how to close out the register isn't part of the standard training.

ETA: The two girls who called me are also in trouble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No doubt... your boss is an ass. If she didn't get mad at you for clocking in, she would have been mad at the two girls who in all likelihood would not have closed out properly. She might even have been mad at you for not going in to help. It seems like your boss is shifting the blame in order to avoid looking like a fool that didn't train the staff fully.